Online instruction is gaining an increasing presence due to the benefits associated with it. The benefits include the ability to consolidate education and training across geographical and time constraints, and the claim by many that online education and training is cost efficient. Online training is also known by numerous names and acronyms which include computer-based training (CBT), web-based training (WBT), cyber-training, distance learning, e-learning, etc. By whatever name, Online Training is a method of delivering training without the immediate presence of a human instructor, through an electronic medium. By taking advantage of technology, online training can be more cost effective by delivering more knowledge in a more flexible and efficient manner.
Why E-Learning is so effective?
E-learning is hot, and for a good reason. If done right, great results can be produced by decreasing costs and improving performance.
Three ways to improve cost effectiveness:
The person responsible for training in an organization is always looking to improve cost-effectiveness, like any other manager. There are essentially three strategies that the training manager has to choose from, without allowing an imbalance to occur:
• By reducing costs
• By improving effectiveness
• By increasing volumes
• Improved training costs: With E-learning, you have savings through decreased travel, reduced material and hopefully improved and more efficient performance.
• Decreased material costs: By creating the environment online and letting the learner practice, you never have to worry about the costs associated with set up, use and clean up.
• Increased productivity: Because e-learning is not bound by geography or time, you can control training’s impact on production by training people during down times. In addition, with the current economy, you’re asking people to do more with less.
• Standardization: E-learning allows you to create a standardized process and consistency in the delivery of content. It also compresses delivery time.
E-learning Supports the Learner’s Development:
• Real-time access: Live learning events require that those who participate align their schedules to the training calendar. E-learning eliminates this because the course can be accessed anytime, anywhere.
• Freedom to fail: Let’s face it, real learning requires some failure. But no one likes to fail in a classroom full of other people. E-learning lets you fail without fear. This encourages exploration and testing of ideas. With the right feedback you create a great learning environment. Worst case, you can always start over. Something you can’t always do in class.
• Improved retention: The combination of multimedia and instructional design can produce a very rich learning experience that is repeatable and help learners retain the course content which will produce results.
• Personalized learning: Learners want control. E-learning allows you to offer control to the learners in a way that classroom learning doesn’t.
Skype: It is telecommunications application software, founded in 2003 that specializes in providing video chat and voice calls from computers, tablets and mobile devices via the internet to other devices or telephones/smartphones. In this application the users can also send instant messages, exchange files and images, send video messages and create conference calls. Conference calls; video chats and screen sharing between 25 people at a time for free is supported by skype which makes it one of the most important tools used for online training.
GoToMeeting: It is a web-hosted service created and marketed by the Online Services division of Citrix Systems and developed in July 2004. GoToMeeting is a software which supports online meeting, desktop sharing, and video conferencing that enables the user to meet with other computer users, customers, clients or colleagues via the Internet in real time.
Its features include:
• Specific application sharing for showing only selected programs with attendees;
• Multi-monitor support for a client PC;
• Meeting recording and playback for recording and saving meetings to a used desktop for later review;
• GoToMeeting hosts up to 25 users and one organizer.
A unique feature offered by this service is videoconferencing which makes online training much easier, efficient and hassle-free. This feature combined with Skype gives out the best service which is put to use by Varnaaz.
WebEx: Cisco WebEx, formerly WebEx Communications Inc. is a company that provides on-demand collaboration, online meeting, web conferencing and videoconferencing applications. It was founded in 1996 under the name of ActiveTouch. Its unique features such as Discussion Forums (online collaboration tool), instant-messaging software, WebEx Connect (web collaboration “mashup” platform) all help to make the best use of this tool in online training.
Benefits of online training:
• Online training allows learners to work at their own pace to complete required technical and work related training
• Increased impact of the money invested in training programs
• Significantly reduced employee travel cost and time
• Ability to train more people, more frequently and in shorter sessions that are easy to coordinate and schedule.
• Ability to reach new markets, both national and international.
• Financial constraints
• Technological constraints
• Design constraints
Words of appreciation:
Here are some of our client’s testimonials, who have been benefited by the online training courses offered by Varnaaz,
Kiran Patel, “Varnaaz’s team proved to be extremely flexible, professional, and results-oriented service that was cost-effective and very responsive as well.”
Arun Shah, “My experience with Varnaaz’s online training was extremely positive. They were very conscientious in adhering to tight schedules, industrious in overcoming obstacles and provided a high level of customer service.”