Microsoft Dynamics AX:
One of the many benefits of this system is it has an architecture that is multilayered which makes it very user-friendly for everyone and can adapt to a changing business. Microsoft programs on your computer, such as Word, Excel and Outlook, will work seamlessly with this system, allowing for an easy transfer of information. Collaboration of both external and internal is quite easy with this system as companies can share information with each part of the business quite simply.
The system works very well for large, international businesses due to multi-language and multi-currency capabilities. Microsoft Dynamics AX now meets regulatory requirements for 36 countries. Not only does Microsoft Dynamics AX work with larger companies but it also works equally well with companies that have only one location. Global ERP support also comes with the system to answer any question or solve any problem that may come up. If you have Microsoft Dynamics AX 4.0 or AX 2009, there is a simple upgrade to all of the new features. The 2012 version has over 1000 enhancements over the 2009 version. Microsoft Dynamics AX had the shortest implementation time comparing it to Oracle and SAP, according to a recent survey by Panorama Consulting Solutions.
Along with the many benefits of Microsoft Dynamics AX, there a few negatives as well. One of the more recent complaints is that the system has moved towards larger companies and left smaller companies behind. Having a strong cloud ERP option is also something that can be improved.
The company SAP has been around for quite some time and owns quite a large share of the market. In other words, they know the ERP market very well. SAP owned roughly a quarter of the market in 2012, according to Forbes. SAP also does business with companies with fewer than 1000 employees, despite being a large company, which shows their diverse client base. They work with businesses in over 45 countries.
Business intelligence is one of the areas that SAP has excelled at, for many years. They have a very integrated and user friendly system which includes dashboards, report writing, and data warehousing.
SAP software tends to take longer to pick up and the implementation process tends to take longer than other alternatives, if you’re not familiar with it. Not only does the implementation take longer but it also tends to be more expensive than other systems. Another con about ERP software is that it demands many upgrades which can become costly.
SAP CLAIMS AND THE MICROSOFT DYNAMICS AX TRUTH:
SAP CLAIM 1: Microsoft Dynamics AX is more of a mid-market solution and is not appropriate for a large, complex business.
THE MICROSOFT DYNAMICS AX TRUTH: Microsoft Dynamics AX 2012 supports the unique requirements for businesses in 36 countries—all from a single-instance deployment of the software. Multiple currencies, multiple time zones, multiple languages, and compliance with multiple banking and reporting standards and legislative codes give you the global coverage that you require. Furthermore, Microsoft Dynamics AX 2012 has bench-marked performance of 5,200 users and 1 Million Lines per Hour across 10+ workloads.
SAP CLAIM 2: A number of third party or ISV solutions are required by Microsoft to provide a complete offering.
THE MICROSOFT DYNAMICS AX TRUTH: Microsoft Dynamics AX offers robust core functionality out of the box. Microsoft also uses ISV solutions to bring deep industry expertise to customers who required very specialized, industry-specific functionality that cannot be met by out-of-the-box solutions. Business partners who specialize in specific industry solutions provide rich insights and leading-edge business expertise – such as Merit Solutions’ food safety (MAXFood) and Life Sciences quality and compliance (MAXLife) solutions for Microsoft Dynamics AX.
SAP CLAIM 3: Too much flexibility is offered by Microsoft Dynamics AX, making compliance a challenge.
THE MICROSOFT DYNAMICS AX TRUTH: By actively managing a balance between compliance requirements and agile business practices, organizations can minimize risk, increase operational efficiency, and successfully build a foundation on which to grow. Microsoft Dynamics AX 2012 has made key enhancements in compliance and auditing, enabling companies to enforce compliance in a consistent and cost effective manner, while streamlining business processes and improving efficiency across the organization. As noted above, for companies who required FDA compliance, our MAXLife and MAXFood solutions can provide further compliance support for those regulations.
SAP CLAIM 4: Fast Start Program by SAP, reduces the risk, time, and cost of implementing the solution.
THE MICROSOFT DYNAMICS AX TRUTH: Merit Solutions’ Rapid on Implementation Methodology is designed to speed time to value and maximize return on investment – while minimizing the risk to your organization. The Rapid On implementation methodology reduces the cost, complexity, and time required to realize the benefits of your ERP investment. Every project is managed against a clearly defined scope, with a fixed, affordable price.
WHY CHOOSE MICROSOFT DYNAMICS AX OVER SAP?
- The Rankings by the Analysts: Gartner, Inc. identified Microsoft Dynamics AX as a Leader in its ERP Magic Quadrant (December, 2010). Nucleus Research ranked Microsoft Dynamics AX as a Lead in its Value Matrix, which is based on functionality and usability (May, 2012). And Forrester Research found that Microsoft Dynamics AX is a Leader as an Order Management Solution (August, 2010).
- Improved Productivity of the employees: Inflexible systems overwhelm, overload, and frustrate people – the employees, managers, customers, vendors, and partners who are working hard to make things happen and grow your business. The easier a software application is to use, the faster employees are able to adopt it and thereby enable the organization to reap the benefits the system provides. And when you connect your people to the right processes across your company with a fully integrated business management solution that is familiar and easy to use, you are setting the stage for increased productivity and efficiency.
- Low Total Cost of Ownership: Independent research has demonstrated that, on the whole, Microsoft Dynamics AX offers a higher return on investment (ROI) and lower overall costs than other major competitive offerings. A recent survey by Panorama Consulting also found that Microsoft Dynamics had the highest percentage of users who realized between 81- and 100- percent of benefits compared to SAP and Oracle.
- Scale with Your Business: Microsoft Dynamics AX is designed to empower your people to be more productive and your systems to last longer, with the ability to scale to accommodate growth while delivering the insight you need to respond quickly in an ever-changing world of business. Expand business opportunities, modify processes, and differentiate your business with comprehensive ERP software that provides unprecented agility that makes it easy to adapt, grow, and change.
- Flexible Deployment Options.Microsoft Dynamics AX offers deployment options that give you choice today and flexibility for the future. Companies can deploy Microsoft Dynamics AX on-premises or in a Cloud ERP model with a single ERP solution that can be implemented all at once, or in phases according to your needs.
PROVEN VALUE / RETURN ON INVESTMENT:
Nucleus Research has found that Microsoft Dynamics AX customers achieve returns in areas of increased visibility, increased productivity, and reduced costs:
- Users moving from disparate systems or paper-based processes can expect Microsoft Dynamics AX user productivity to increase by up to 30 percent.
- 75% of Microsoft Dynamics AX customers see a positive ROI in 23 months.
- 75% of Microsoft Dynamics AX customers reported improved operations and visibility.
- 56% of Microsoft Dynamics AX customers were able to directly reduce staffing costs.
- 44% of Microsoft Dynamics AX customers were able to reduce IT costs.
ANALYSTS: “MICROSOFT DYNAMICS AX IS A LEADER”
Microsoft Dynamics AX 2012 has been positioned in the Leaders quadrant of the Nucleus Research “Technology Value Matrix – First Half 2012 Enterprise Applications”. The Value Matrix is based on functionality and usability, the two core measures that Nucleus has found indicate an application’s ability to deliver initial ROI and, ultimately, maximum value over time. The Value Matrix evaluates products that have a global presence and provide core functionality for finance and accounting, human resources, manufacturing, supply chain management, project management, and customer relationship management. (May 2012)
Microsoft Dynamics AX has been positioned in the Leaders quadrant of the Gartner Inc. “Magic Quadrant for Midmarket and Tier-2 Oriented ERP for Product-Centric Companies”, a research report that evaluates global ERP products and that is specifically tailored for product-centric, midmarket companies with 100-1,000 employees and with annual revenue between $50 million and $1 billion. (December 2010)
Forrester Research, Inc., a leading independent research firm, cited Microsoft Dynamics AX as an order management hub solutions leader in “The Forrester Wave™: Order Management Hubs” (August, 2010).
MICROSOFT DYNAMICS AX DIFFERENTIATORS:
- Works like Office: Microsoft Dynamics AX has been designed to work like familiar Microsoft software, providing a seamless Microsoft user experience for handling both structured (Microsoft Dynamics) and un-structured data (Microsoft Office), helping to increase user adoption and reduce training costs.
- Integrates Seamlessly: Microsoft Dynamics AX works and integrates seamlessly with other Microsoft software, such as Microsoft Exchange, Microsoft SQL Server, and Microsoft SharePoint, helping to lower integration and deployment costs.
- Robust Ecosystem: Microsoft offers a larger and more robust service and solution provider ecosystem than mySAP All-in-One.
- Leading Partner Program: A 2005 IDC study titled “WW Software Channel Program 2005 Vendor Profiles”7 favorably positions the Microsoft Partner Program as a leader among the top 25 software vendors worldwide.
- Competency Framework: Microsoft’s competency framework enables accurate alignment with customer issues and helps drive Microsoft partner behavior for greater coverage in specific markets or for growing solution sales.
- Industry Builder: The Microsoft Industry Builder initiative unites quality-reviewed ISV solutions with a Microsoft support agreement for the total solution that gives customers what they want-a single point of contact for support.
- Deep Skills: There are 1,300 solution and service providers available globally with deep skills and dedicated resources.
- Flexibility: Microsoft Dynamics AX offers unique technology and architecture advantages that enable unparalleled flexibility and customization without limiting the ability to upgrade to new releases while positively affecting upgrade costs and long-term maintenance costs.
- Top Ranking: Nucleus Research independently found that Microsoft Business Solutions-Axapta (now Microsoft Dynamics AX) achieved a top score of 18 and a composite score of 4.2-higher than other solutions, including SAP.1
- Architectural Advantage: Microsoft Dynamics AX is built with a layered architecture so you can customize one layer without affecting the functionality of other layers.